Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lunch with My Host Parents

Tuesday, February 24th 2009


Let's wind up back in time to my international student orientation day. We were told, that Linfield has a Friendship Family Program. In this program, we can choose whether or not we want to participate and the school will do its best to match each of us to a family. So, I received an email from my host mom today and she wishes to meet up real soon. Oh, she also emailed a photograph of her and one of her two daughers, Lillian (Picture below). My host mom's name is Genne Sherman and my host dad's name is Dick Sherman. They are both retired now and two of their daughters are married with two children each. She ended up calling me and we are going to meet up tomorrow right after my class at 9am! Genne is the one in the red coat in the picture below.




Wednesday, February 25th 2009



So like I told you, my host mom is meeting me today. I sent a photograph of me but she couldn't receive it, which means she has no idea how I look like. When I spotted her in the same red coat, I went up to her. We were supposed to have some breakfast at Cornerstone, a small cafe off campus but the cafe was full. After she got me a scone, she drove me back to her home, or, my home here in McMinnville! According to her, the house is undergoing a remodelling. The whole process began last September and was SUPPOSED to be done by Christmas but...nope, it hasn't completed.



Before we reach her place, we stopped by a kindergarten to pick up Sophia, one of the three little children she takes care off. Sophia is five and her parents are Genne's daughter's best friends. Oh, Sophia gave me a picture she made. Ha! She can be quite talkative!



Genne's place is not too far off campus if compared to how far Walmart was. As the wooden floor in the living room hasn't been all polished, they have a card table and a few chairs in the living room. The rest of the furniture have been moved upstairs. Well, it wasn't that bad for a house undergoing reconstruction.



Genne made grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch. It was a pretty simple sandwich and it was yummy! It is something I can make for myself, too. Now, THAT is an idea! They were a really friendly couple. They asked many questions about where I live and how Malaysia is, and Dick printed out the map to locate where Malaysia is. Oh, boy, it was a test to all the Geography subject which I practically returned to my respected teachers say, 5 years ago?! Hmm...I'm 20 years old already. Bah, that's irrelevant! Now back to the topic.



Genne and Dick will be going down to Seattle to watch her grandson play basketball this weekend and she invited me along. So I'm going to Seattle! I wish Sophia could go too but she can't. Oh well. I personally believe that my mouth is jinxed. It's like, when I feel happy, I am being reminded that when I'm the most enthusiastic about something, another thing will be taken away from me. For example, before I came, we were supposed to go down to San Francisco for Spring break. Boy, I was thrilled! Guess what? It didn't work out. I was SO disappointed, so, no high hopes, 'coz you know what they say, greater expectations bring greater disappointment if things don't turn out the way we want!



And now, I'm back in my room! I had a really new experience today.

There will be a "belated" Chinese New Year dinner for us international students later and I'm really looking forward to that!

Yes, and my camera. Check!

No comments:

Shalyn's Little Art Gallery